I want to be better than I am

An online community for Pianist. All Piano lovers are welcome
Yvonne

Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:26 am

I'm an adult beginner and sometimes I hear some songs I'd really like to play but I can't play them yet so I'm stuck with learning how to play really simple and boring songs. What should I do?
Aaron21

Re: I want to be better than I am

Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:30 am

The best solution here, I think, is patience. You won’t be doing these “easy-sounding” pieces forever, and they’re really important. Yes, Row Your Boat is a kid’s song, but that doesn’t mean it’s easy to play.

As a beginner, things that sound super easy just won’t be. You’re learning how to read music, you’re learning how to move your hands independently of each other, you’re learning how to play multiple notes at once. All these things take time, and can’t be rushed.

So have some patience. You won’t be playing Row Your Boat forever.
BeJimmieAlmob

Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:57 pm

Thanks guys I’d love to hear more takes if anybody has them.

To be clear, I’m not a fan of SRV in any way, and like I don’t try to listen to ‘blues’ ever or anything, but I feel comfortable in saying that it’s like the basis of a huge majority of popular music or even stuff I’ve always listened to. I’m just not very good at verbalizing what I’m thinking. I just want to know where the notes are, what you’re supposed to do with them, ya know? Like when I ever see someone grab a guitar, within 10 seconds you can tell if they have any idea what they’re doing or not, and typically, if they do, they whip out some little shreddy mode/arpeggio gimmick that instantly clicks in my head as a derivative of blues, regardless of what style they’re really displaying.

I like what I can do, but I pretty much have written every riff I’ve ever written by trying to learn someone else’s songs, and figuring out ways to change it enough to be its own thing. I hear stuff in my head, and try to make it work, I’m just not very good at it. I can play with people and stay in key or keep time ok, it’s just that if I’m writing a part it’s gonna be like, octave or power chords and if it’s a lead part it’s going to involve a third somewhere, and I don’t even know what that is someone just told me the reverse power chord shape the two string version, not adding the octave which I always think sounds like shit was called a ‘third.’

That’s probably the most honest I can be and the most direct way I can explain my frustration with my lack of skills. Like, I can do stuff that sounds pretty good, and I’ve written stuff I think genuinely sounds cool or interesting, but I feel like I’ve plateaued and like a lot of what I do sounds more similar than I’d like.

I found that Justin guitar site a few years back and bookmarked it only to never visit it again. I thought it was cool that he emphasized learning stuff by ear and transcription which is something I’d love to do. I might try and see what I can learn from there. I know someone suggested I give the beginner stuff a try but it’s so grating and like, I don’t need to learn smoke on the water again, but then I start skipping ahead and end up lost and can’t really find the spot where I should check back in. So maybe that’s good advice and I ought to just start at the beginning. Maybe if anything I can just breeze past the beginner shit and will eventually naturally end up where I ‘should have’ started.

Really though - if anybody can recommend anything, I just want to be a better player and I’m open to anything. Thanks again for the replies so far My posts tend to get really long sometimes and those same types of posts are my favorites to read, so that was cool to see too that you all really took a deep dive here with me. I appreciate it
BeJimmieAlmob

Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:02 pm

Some days I want my future self to play classical on guitar, but then the next it just seems way out of my wheelhouse. I love playing my nylon string, but I feel like itd be easier to play classical on piano. My long range goal is jazz, just mellow chord melody type stuff, which maybe isnt too far off from classical. More improv than sheet reading I guess.

Return to “Piano”

About Yalle Media

Yalle Media is an online platform, created to tutor and engage Music Lovers around the globe on various Instruments.

Yalle Chord Community is a platform built to help all instrumentalists improve their skills.